A Wish List for your next IoT-Platform
The number of available IoT-Platforms is still on the rise although there is already a considerable amount of them. This proliferation poses the question how do they stack up agains each other by evaluating them against a feature catalog? In the following we present a bullet point level catalog of requirements and traits that we have carefully distilled from re-evaluating several IoT-projects that we have conducted in the past years using offerings from well-known cloud providers and our Xingular-Platform which supports almost all of these features.
Authentication/ Identity Management
- Flexible Identity Management with plugable/ exchangeable backend (identity stores like LDAP).
- OpenID Connect (OIDC) / OAuth 2 compatible in the API layer for friction less AuthZ of mobile apps (Krumdia kann das derzeit nicht).
- Support for long validity tokens for mobile apps.
- IdM Processes:
- User invitation to an organization.
- User self sign-up incl. account activation via e-mail.
- Password reset via self-service.
- Account deletion.
- Self sign-up.
- DSGVO conforming data report.
Authorization/ Access Management
- Access control for all API objects.
- Multi tenancy capable.
- Access control based on:
- The ABAC principle.
- Support for user roles.
- Support for attributations to user-role-assocations with organization/ location scope.
- Hierarchical organization structure.
- Possibility to transfer ownership of objects with a transfer/ claim process.
- Delegated administration model (Possibility to pass administrative persmissions to other users).
- Support for the following device types:
- IP (v4/v6) addressed devices.
- LoRaWAN devices.
- Device identity management based on secrets.
- Device identity management based on public/ private keys.
- Gateway/ edge device management:
- Telemetry data such as CPU load and memory consumption.
- Connection state.
- Firmware update.
- Possibility to provide and manage a device catalog:
- Device type (based on SKUs).
- Device management:
- Browsing of last n upstream messages for easy troubleshooting.
- Battery and connection state management.
- Firmware updates.
- Possibility to add custom state information with flexible data model to devices (aka digital twin).
- Definition of signals (measuring points) based on parsed time series sensor data.
- Grouping of signals in a hierarchical structure.
Visual Data Analysis
- Creation of custom dashboards based on defined signals.
- Consisting of multiple signals.
- Time based navigation over signals.
- Date/ time range.
- Relative ranges like 'last 24h' etc.
- Alerting based on monitoring rules applied to signals:
- Threshholds min, max, hose.
- Possibility to combine threshold with minimum hold duaration.
- Possibility to add/ remove custom alerts for single signals dynamically through the API.
- Text messages (SMS).
- Chat systems like slack.
- Customizable templates and content.
- Push notifications for apps.
- Management of hierarchical locations:
- GPS coordinates.
- Extensible with custom attributes.
- Generic REST based ingestion.
- The Things Network (TTN) adapter:
- Data ingestion.
- Device registrations.
- Generic MQTT adapter (for LTE/ NB-IoT).
- Flexible device type based payload parsing/ decoding based on device type from device management.
- Support for different data types such as number, decimal, boolean.
- Downsampling of time series data.
- Archiving and purging of old data based on staleness rules.
- Notion of hot data set and cold data set.
- Possibility to create synthetical signal derived from existing signals.
- custom functions/ calculations on existing signals (for example for the battery level case or connection state).
- Joining of existing signals.
- Consistent API pane over all aspects should be possible.
- Using GraphQL or REST.
- Custom extensions for application specific resources.
- Support for objects (files).
- Filtering, pagination, sorting, relations.
- Support for rate limiting .
- For time series data:
- Convenience date/ time range filters like 'last 24h'.
- Possibility to dynamically reduce the resolution for efficient plots in the mobile app.
- Possibility to create API mashh-ups optimized for mobile App needs.
- Push Layer to inform running, active apps of data changes.
UI Generic Features
- Multi language, l10n, i18n.
- At least limited mobile devices compatibility.
- Single Page Application (SPA) architecture.
- Extensible with custom features (for example for managing positions of Windows).
- Custom theme consisting of colors, fonts and logos possible (corporate identity).
LoRaWAN Specific Features
- Support to run a custom network server and join server.
- Number of sensors.
- Message size per transmission.
- Transmissions per hour.
- Messages per day.
- Cumulated required peak bandwidth.
- Amount of stored raw data per year.
- Monthly billing based on:
- fixed amount,
- consumption metric.
- Initial/ set-up fees.
- Customer individual enterprise agreements.
- Pre-defined plans.
Hosting/ Delivery Model
- SaaS or on premise.
- Based on Azure, AWS, IBM, Oracle, SAP Leonardo.
- Cloud provider agnostic.
- K8s friendly.
- DSGVO Compliant hosting possible.
- Open Source or commercial.
- Pricing model.
- Developer documentation.
- Commercial consuling/ support available.